- Savings, deposit, checking, and brokerage accounts held with a bank or broker-dealer.
And, to the extent held for investment and not held in a financial account, you must report stock or securities issued by someone who is not a U.S. person, any other interest in a foreign entity, and any financial instrument or contract held for investment with an issuer or counterparty that is not a U.S. person. Examples of these assets that must be reported if not held in an account include:
- Stock or securities issued by a foreign corporation;
- A note, bond or debenture issued by a foreign person;
- An interest rate swap, currency swap, basis swap, interest rate cap, interest rate floor, commodity swap, equity swap, equity index swap, credit default swap or similar agreement with a foreign counter party;
- An option or other derivative instrument with respect to any of these examples or with respect to any currency or commodity that is entered into with a foreign counter party or issuer;
- A partnership interest in a foreign partnership;
- An interest in a foreign retirement plan or deferred compensation plan;
- An interest in a foreign estate;
- Any interest in a foreign-issued insurance contract or annuity with a cash-surrender value.
2. I am a U.S. taxpayer but am not required to file an income tax return. Do I need to file Form 893
Taxpayers who are not required to file an income tax return are not required to file Form 893
3. Does foreign real estate need to be reported on Form 893
Foreign real estate is not a specified foreign financial asset required to be reported on Form 893
If the real estate is held through a foreign entity, such as a corporation, partnership, trust or estate, then the interest in the entity is a specified foreign financial asset that is reported on Form 893
The value of the real estate held by the entity is taken into account in determining the value of the interest in the entity to be reported on Form 893
4. I directly hold foreign currency (that is, the currency isn’t in a financial account). Do I need to report this on Form 893
Foreign currency is not a specified foreign financial asset and is not reportable on Form 893
5. I am a beneficiary of a foreign estate. Do I need to report my interest in a foreign estate on Form 893
Generally, an interest in a foreign estate is a specified foreign financial asset that is reportable on Form 893
6. I acquired or inherited foreign stock or securities, such as bonds. Do I need to report these on Form 893
Foreign stock or securities, if you hold them outside of a financial account, must be reported on Form 893
7. I directly hold shares of a U.S. mutual fund that owns foreign stocks and securities. Do I need to report the shares of the U.S. mutual fund or the stocks and securities held by the mutual fund on Form 893
If you directly hold shares of a U.S. mutual fund you do not need to report the mutual fund or the holdings of the mutual fund.
8. I have a financial account maintained by a U.S. financial institution that holds foreign stocks and securities. Do I need to report the financial account or its holdings?
You do not need to report a financial account maintained by a U.S. financial institution or its holdings. Examples of financial accounts maintained by U.S. financial institutions include:
- U.S. Mutual fund accounts
- IRAs (traditional or Roth)
- 401 (k) retirement plans
- Qualified U.S. retirement plans
- Brokerage accounts maintained by U.S. financial institutions
9. I have a financial account maintained by a foreign financial institution that holds investment assets. Do I need to report the financial account if all or any of the investment assets in the account are stock, securities, or mutual funds issued by a U.S. person?
If you have a financial account maintained by a foreign financial institution and the value of your specified foreign financial assets is greater than the reporting threshold that applies to you, you need to report the account on Form 893
A foreign accoun
10. I have an interest in a foreign pension or deferred compensation plan. Do I need to report it on Form 893
If you have an interest in a foreign pension or deferred compensation plan, you have to report this interest on Form 893